new cd release..

Forum about the british singer Sally Oldfield. Talk about her music, her life, everything.
Simone

new cd release..

Post by Simone » Thu Oct 14, 2004 15:28

..of Water Bearer now available under www.amazon.de

Alo-ha...Simone and Patty
www.sally-oldfield.net
music is healing

Klingsor

.... love that album

Post by Klingsor » Sat Oct 16, 2004 23:44

It seems to me like a simple re-issue of the old waterbearer, no remix or digital enhancements.

I wounder what Sally today would make of this beautiful songs. I've heard 'Mirrors' in the 'Tent of Mirrors' - thus I will remember it - but the whole thing... water bearer in lounge version... Sweet, seet music.

By the way: I didn't buy the Terry's Album 'Stars of heaven' yet. Is it worth it?

Klingsor

Another 'by the way'

Post by Klingsor » Sat Oct 16, 2004 23:49

Do they add the song text's this time?

Simone

about music

Post by Simone » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:29

...hey Thorsten,

course there are the song texts of each song in that booklet, as I already said it´s a lovely booklet.

You really haven´t the " star of heaven" CD yet? Poor man...Sally is singing on all three sacred songs -Ave Maria..; Jesu, man of desiring..; and Silent Night - This CD has " only" three songs but all are in a long version and Sally is singing with an angels-voice...

Now you are jerlous, don´t you? Alo-ha...Simone
music is healing

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Sun Oct 17, 2004 13:22

Well, personally I don't care much for "Star Of Heaven", it is rather dull, repetitive and unchallenging, much like most of Terry's work (sad to say), not even Sally's voice can save this album. And reading the description from the label, "New World Company", just makes you wonder what they write about their other albums - and you're right!
In my oppinion, an unnecessary album with no substance. It won't hurt you to listen to it, but it won't do you anything neither - except perhaps make you fall asleep... However, Sally said she liked working on it, so I guess it WAS good for something.

Hmm... This thread sure took a fast turn away from Water Bearer! :-) Oh well. Thanks for the remarks about the rerelease NOT being a remastering, I guess I won't be to eager to go get it anyway, already having two different CD issues and a couple of LPs. But it is indeed a great album, so if you don't have it already, here is your chance!
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

Klingsor

Leaflets and Song Texts

Post by Klingsor » Sun Oct 17, 2004 14:43

Hi Simone,

did you already order the new release? I have a copy released 1986 and it only contains the credits. So I rely on the venyl-version. I actually miss that big sized albums and the carefully set song texts.

By the way, Ulf Milanese has compiled Sally's texts and placed them under this Url: http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/u ... index.html

Have Fun!

Klingsor

Two opinions on Stars of heaven

Post by Klingsor » Sun Oct 17, 2004 14:49

Hmmmmm.....

The opinions of Somone and Morten don't quite match, do they? I might have to buy the album to have a chance to judge myself. Or does somebody want to invite me for tea and listening to music?

chears!

Hergest

Post by Hergest » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:02

One of my perennial favorite vocal performances by Sally is "night theme" from waterbearer. If the master tapes of waterbearer are in good nick, and if the original recording is ok, modern mastering techniques would make this a superb album to reissue in a re-mastered version.

I'm lucky enough to have a copy of "star of heaven" and quite like it. It's slightly let down by the music tonality, which does not match Sally's incomparable voice. But I like it.

I would like to reccomend Sally's vocal on Steve Hackett's "voyage of the acolyte" as the best showcase of her voice when someone else is in control of the music.
Come on and join in the Celebration