Mandala 7" single "out of order"?

Forum about the british singer Sally Oldfield. Talk about her music, her life, everything.
mdj
Site Admin

Mandala 7" single "out of order"?

Post by mdj » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:58

I was just looking through my latest captures, when I noticed a Mandala 7" single, 102 357 - 100, with a "promo sheet". When I took a look at the promo sheet, it was NOT a promo sheet, but an informational sheet from Hans Scherer of Ariola, claiming that the first single they had sent out as promotion was not technically sound ("Leider ist die Single technisch nicht in Ordnung"), why this single was sent to replace it ("Wir möchten Sie bitten, diese Platte gegen die Ihnen vorliegende auszutauschen").
That made me think, that there must be some singles out there with less than perfect sound, perhaps even direct errors in the mastering! Has anyone ever heard about this? I would *love* to have one of those singles, or at least know why it was deemed to be replaced by Ariola - what errors does it contain?!
The first single was sent out September 9, 1980, the one to replace it was sent out later that same month (although the sleeve does have a small "OKT. 1980" stamp in the corner). The sheet also has addresses and phone numbers, but I doubt they are still valid, and that Mr. Scherer is still in the business.
Last edited by mdj on Fri Jan 06, 2006 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

Simone

Post by Simone » Tue Apr 26, 2005 17:32

Hi Morten,

that´s a new point I didn´t know...but maybe you will find this single by ebay.com as they have many records there.

By the way, tried to send you a private message, but you mailbox is full.

:lol:

Alo-ha

Simone
music is healing

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Wed Apr 27, 2005 15:19

The problem with this misprint is that you cannot SEE it (at least, that is what I suppose). Someone will have to listen to it, and determine that it is defect. The single itself is not at all hard to find on e-bay, but I need to know how to identify it. Perhaps a look at the matrix numbers - of course!
The one with the info sheet, has matrix numbers
102357 A-2/80S
102357 B-2/80S
and another copy of the same single (though not a promo), has the same. So, what we're looking for is a single having matrix numbers
102357 A-1/80S
102357 B-1/80S
- probably, and perhaps even a promostamp on the sleeve, which may or may not read "SEP. 80".
At least that is something to look for.

(Hmm.. I am nowhere near the limit of my inbox... Perhaps your sent box is full? Max 25)
Last edited by mdj on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Morten Due Jørgensen

Simone

about Mandala

Post by Simone » Wed Apr 27, 2005 16:07

well,, i have two different ones of Mandala, one is "Woman of the night "with "Mandala "on side B..it´s . ..let me see... published in Portugal 1980...5000104...Producao de Tom Newman...and the other one is "Mandala" with "Woman of the night" on side B ...102357-100. So it´s sure not the one you are looking for.

:roll:

Alo-ha

Simone
music is healing

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:56

Well, you can't really tell from the info you give. 102357 is just the record number (-100 refers to being a 7" single, I believe), you will have to get the matrix number engraved in the vinyl near the center to tell.
Last edited by mdj on Fri Apr 29, 2005 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Morten Due Jørgensen

Simone

sorry

Post by Simone » Thu Apr 28, 2005 15:28

Hi Morten,

is this the number ???...102357 A -2/80S
102357 B - 2/80S

That´s not the one you are looking for...
music is healing

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Fri Apr 29, 2005 21:06

Yes, that is the correct number.
No, this is not the right number...
:-)
You know, what I mean.
Morten Due Jørgensen

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Thu Mar 16, 2006 21:38

The mystery is solved! A first issue has indeed been found. I have had a chance to listen to it (thanks Ralf!), and side A indeed has a very audible echo during the first few seconds, definitely enough to justify sending new ones to the radio stations.

The first issue has indeed matrix numbers A-1 and B-1, but the one discovered has no promo material. My guess is that the first issue was sent out both as promos and as ordinary copies, but of course only the radio stations received the corrected ones with an explanatory note. The ordinarily sold ones have probably almost all been replaced through buyers going to the store to complain and most promo copies have probably been thrown out as the replacements arrived, except for a small number of copies, Ralf's most likely being one of the ordinary copies sold, but for some reason never brought back to the store.
Morten Due Jørgensen