UniverSally

Forum about the british singer Sally Oldfield. Talk about her music, her life, everything.
Don

UniverSally

Post by Don » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:56

I don't know about anyone else but I miss Sally's presence on the web.Her new web site is good and all but it leaves me with a hollow empty feeling. It seems to be missing the best part of the old site, namely:Sally's imput and the forum-which had grown to over 100 strong due again to Sally's direct participation You never call,you never write haven't heard from you in a couple of years-was it something I said?

Hergest

Post by Hergest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 18:48

I think Don may have a point. The 'official' site seems to have been fairly static to date. I too would welcome some deeper level of interactivity, but would be principally interested in the progress of the new music. It would be nice to have direct input from Sally - but I don't know her circumstances or intentions and would not wish to impose any expectations upon her.

Still - it's the winter. It's dark and cold in the UK. Maybe the site is hibernating until the spring gets underway. Prehaps it's shy from so many people staring at it, expecting it to 'do' something.

I hope you are all healthy and at peace with yourselves.

Hergest
Come on and join in the Celebration

Simone

Post by Simone » Fri Jan 27, 2006 18:12

Sally is still present, don´t worry... :wink:

She just is trying out new things..musical things..so please be patient.
I don´t know either how long that will last, but when she "comes back", so then certain with a boomerang..

meanwhile we could talk about your favorite Sally Oldfield songs and albums and why it´s your favorite one.

By the way, I´m looking for the text of "midsummer nights happening". It´s sometimes unclear sung .

The one in the booklet is just printed too small. You really need a magnifier for to read it.

I would like to try playing it on my guitar as I started "agonize" her again again after a tree years break .

My son , 18 years old, likes that kind of songs too. He said "it does fit between his hard rock and heavy metal stuff quite good".

I don´t want to razz Sally with it. :wink:

Namaste

Simone
music is healing

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:29

Experimenting, huh? Sounds exiciting. I must say, however, that I have always been uncertain what to think of musicians evolving. On one hand, I can understand the musicians own need to go where he/she wants to go, right now. It is their right, and if they don't use it, they loose the spark for sure, and us fans will of course stop buying the "same" music from them over and over again (example from my world: Enya. Anyone can hear any difference between early and late work? I can't. Then again, I haven't bought her latest albums).

On the other hand, I usually like a musician for a reason, and development is bound to move focus, and most likely away from what I find attractive, and I want that to happen even less (example from my world: Mike Oldfield. I have been collecting his fantastic early materials for years now, but his latest "chill-out" albums are just too meaningless, they give me almost nothing, and I am close to not buying his new stuff at all. - and that says a lot for a collector with a 300+ item collection).

Sure I want Sally to evolve too, but if it happens in directions I don't want to follow her, then I don't follow her. I will be waiting eagerly - and anxiously - to see what she conjures up next, her latest albums have not been of much interest to me at all, but I can keep hoping for some time.

In the meantime, I can just listen to the greatest of all of Sally's albums: Water Bearer! Why? Because Water Bearer + Songs of the Quendi has exactly that that very few other musicians are capable of producing: A long complex piece of music containing several themes, balance between them, continuity, logic and lots of energy, and spiced up with great musicianship, and in this case, Sally's excellent voice, which fits this masterpiece perfectly. It takes my breath away. Many artists make long pieces of music, but only a few can make it worth the walk. In my book, I can only come up with Mike Oldfield, Jean-Michel Jarre and Pink Floyd as other contemporary members of this club. (I reserve the right to revise that list after I have been flamed! :-) ) Too bad Sally has only done this once, but it does make her a member of that club, and her other songs are worth a listen too, so, I am fan!

- and the lyrics to Midsummer Night's Happening can be found on my home page too - of course. ;-) There is a link from my Sally Oldfield page, or right here: http://www.mdjnet.dk/children.txt

Transcribed from the LP where the text is actually big enough to read. I haven't done it myself, but if you find any errors, please let me know, and I will correct them.
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

Simone

Post by Simone » Mon Jan 30, 2006 19:22

thankyou Morten for the text..couldn´t find the link to your website..oops..

I haven´t any text on my LP as I have the spanish one from Orizzonte ..what ever that means...ORL 8366. And the text in the CD is just a way too small and unclear to read.

I would like to try to play this song on my guitar..just have to find out the notes.

Namaste

Simone
music is healing