Emailing Sally

Forum about the british singer Sally Oldfield. Talk about her music, her life, everything.
Don

Emailing Sally

Post by Don » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:47

Will someone tell me what has happened to Sally? I was under the impression that I could email her from her web site. I began to wonder if she was reading her email and asked tfj and others to explain. Well, no one has said anything except to take away the comment /suggestion box. Is she still with us? If so, then does she not want to hear from her fans and/or me? If there is someone out there in the know please let me know too?( either publicly or by emailing me). Thank you ,Don
P.s., if I’m out of line or overly concerned, I just woke up in the middle of night and decided to write this
Those of you that hunger for more music to lift your soul, I’d like to recommend a group called “Secret Garden” and their cd “Songs from A Secret Garden” . Most exquisite ! If anyone buys the cd and doesn’t like it I’ll buy it from you, with only one question asked, and that would be”what the hell is the matter with you”?
I noticed that the guitar intro to Warm Wind On The Wasteland is strongly influenced by S.G..
Well, I’ve either got to get some coffee or go back to bed. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz,Don

Don

SAlly email part2

Post by Don » Wed May 17, 2006 1:48

tfj has kindly informed me that Sally was receiving the emails, but has decided to stop accepting them for now.If it's just because of me ,I don't know all I can do is apologize to you who wish to write.If freely expressing my feelings is a problem I should be told, I'm no good at taking hints and refuse to do so.I do respond well to direct ,open ,honest communication- it's the only way I know.
And also, anyone who hasn't heard Secret Garden I'll make this offer: I'll send you a cd for the cost of postage, roughly $3 USA , $4 Europe (mdjnet members only please ).

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Wed May 17, 2006 10:58

I think it is important to remember that when you get as "big" as Sally - and particularly as big as Mike - there are litterally millions of fans. If each one of them sent you a single e-mail each year, and you could read it and perhaps reply to it within one minute, you could still spend 45 hours per day per million fans reading fanmail! And once the word gets around that you actually read the fanmail, it will attract more mails. Even with just a few thousand fans, the task is enormeous. It is a snowball, that I think everybody in the business is aware of. Sure, you can answer a random e-mail or fan letter or two from time to time, but to engage in actual individual conversation with fans you really don't know, that is just not possible, so I can fully understand if Sally - and all others - make sure they have the distance to the fans under control at all times. Personally, I have never written a single fan letter to either of my idols, Sally, Mike, Jean-Michel, I know they like to know their fans actually appreciate their art, but they don't want to hear it personally from everyone, so if any of them want to contact me, they are of course welcome to do so, and until that happens (yeah, right!), I am not gonna bother to try to get through to them - after all, I am just one in a million fans! :-)
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk