Pekka Pohjola

Forum about the british singer Sally Oldfield. Talk about her music, her life, everything.
Klingsor

Pekka Pohjola

Post by Klingsor » Sun Jun 11, 2006 13:26

Sally did work together with Pekka Pohjola for some time, a musician from Finland whose music is in the middle of pogressive rock music an jazz.
Does anybody know more about it (I only have a copy of Mathematical Air Display)?

Simone

Post by Simone » Sun Jun 11, 2006 17:29

Hi Hergest,

try it on www.oldfield.de , it´s a german Mike Oldfield Fansite from Alex with a board. You can ask in english, they will understand you...

Good luck

Namaste

Simone ;0)
music is healing

Klingsor

Feels a bit strange

Post by Klingsor » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:28

Hi Simone,

I know German pretty well 'cause I'm not Hergest *giggle*. (No offence, Hergest!)

On the other hand it feels a little odd to me to ask on a page dedicated to Mike about Sally's artwork, without checking with her community first ;-)).

Do you know wether there has been any further collaboration with Pekka?

Regards,
Klingsor
____

Wanna know? Go to see!

Simone

upps

Post by Simone » Mon Jun 12, 2006 16:55

upps, ich rindvieh, ich damisches, habe ich doch den namen verwechselt...

please forgive my mistake...
:wink:
music is healing

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Mon Jun 12, 2006 21:17

Pekka was a member (basist) of Mike's "band" at some point, and because of that collaboration (or perhaps the other way around?), Mike participated on Pekka's "Keesojen Lehto". It is my impression that Sally Just appears "coincidentally", she is after all only singing on the final track. The music is almost entirely Pekka's, and the only reason it was released as a "Mike and Sally Oldfield" album was to reach higher sales numbers in Germany/Benelux. To my knowledge, there was no further collaboration between Sally and Pekka, nor between Mike and Pekka for that matter, "Keesojen Lehto" is the only recording available of that constellation, but it has been released under many names, "Mathematician's Air Display", "Consequences of Indecisions", "Skyggornas Tjuvstart", but the original title is "Keesojen Lehto". I have been told by someone in Finland, that the title doesn't mean anything. Back in '94, when it was released on CD, I first picked it up myself on a trip to Finland, and afterwards I asked a contact there to go buy some more for some friends of mine - he thought I was joking with him, sending him to search for a non-existing CD! :-)

It is a quite recommendable album, BTW, if you like prog rock/jazz fusion, it has some very sensitive piano, and a slowly progressing plot that yet reaches quite far. Not an album you would be surprised to find Mike on, it is more jazzy than Mike's work, but it has the same kind of complexity. It has been on my todo-list for some time now to check out some of Pekka's other albums, but I haven't done it - yet. Pekka died all to young a few years ago.
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

Klingsor

Fascinating Music

Post by Klingsor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 23:11

Pekka Pohjola is dead? What a loss. The few things I've heard of him were very good. I recently heard 'Urban Tango' - good piece of work.

I once head a copy of that LP with Pekka, Mike and Sally, but it got lost when I gave away my record player *sigh*. It was from the "2001"-lable.

I just re-listened 'Natasha' which is a little 'jazzy'. I asked myself if Pekka was an inspiration to it or if she worked with him again.

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Wed Jun 14, 2006 20:06

CORRECTION: I seem to recall having read that Pekka died not too long ago, but I cannot confirm it anywhere, and now I believe I have crossed some lines regarding Pierre Moerlen, who died last May. I am actually quite convinced, that I remembered it wrong. I am very sorry for the mistake - but I am not sorry about being wrong on this particular point! ;-)
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

Klingsor

A little quiet

Post by Klingsor » Tue Jun 27, 2006 23:30

It's good to learn, that Pekka is still save and sound ;-). Nevertheless I checked his homepage and indead his last CD is from 2001... Hopefully it's just hollydays...