reissued cds

Forum about the british singer Sally Oldfield. Talk about her music, her life, everything.
benny2512

reissued cds

Post by benny2512 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 13:37

hi!
just found another very interesting thing in the net.in japan there is a collectors box of the first 6 albums in mini lp format.the price for this box is extremely high,but there are some bonus tracks on it.
water bearer comes in the usual tracklist.
easy has the single remix of the sun in my eyes as bonus.
celebration has i sing for you and the single version of mandala on it.
playing in the flame has broken mona lisa.
no bonus on the concert album
strange day in berlin has the single versions of path with a heart,never knw love could get so strong(didnt know there was a single version)and for all time on it.
the strange thing is,a couple of days ago i dreamed there would be limited editions with bonus tracks.funny,heh?
benny

mdj
Site Admin

Post by mdj » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:39

Could you post/send me the links to these items (the Sallyangie CD too), I would like to include them in the discography.
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

benny2512

Post by benny2512 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:09

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code ... ?key=73723
for the reissued albums

http://cd.ciao.co.uk/Children_Of_The_Su ... e__5860254
for the planned tracklist of the sallyangie reissue

benny

Jarle

Reissues = remasters?

Post by Jarle » Mon Apr 02, 2007 20:19

Hi!

I was very pleased to find reports of reissues of Sally´s first six albums - in fact, all the music she ever released for Bronze. (Apart from the compilations and single tracks, but the bonus tracks will gather in all or most of those.) So far, so excellent... :D

However, having been deceived before: Does anyone know whether the sound on these reissued will be upgraded as well?

The sellers on eBay claim that they have all been remastered in 2007, but then again... They would.

I have ordered STRANGE DAY IN BERLIN, as I view this album as both a musical peak for Sally and the album that most sorely needs a sonic upgrade.

So, has anyone actually got their copies of the albums, and could they please share their views on the sound on these CDs?

My hopes are up...

All the best,

Jarle

Jarle

Reissues = remasters - in deed!

Post by Jarle » Fri Apr 13, 2007 19:48

I´ll answer my own question:

I received the Japanese mini-LP replica version of STRANGE DAY IN BERLIN, and I listened to the whole album in one sitting.

And YES! The album has been remastered! There are no dramatic changes, but there are more details, especially in the percussive elements.

What is my verdict? The sound on the previous release of the album was dull and flat, with very little life to it. Organic it was not. The sound of the new version sounds better, fuller and MUCH easier on the air.

If you like Sally, but are on the fence as to whether to buy these reissues or not, this is my advice: BUY THEM! They are beautiful, the CDs are housed in mini replicas of the album sleeves, the lyrics are there...

I´m glad I also splashed out on the boxed set of these CDs. Can´t wait to get the rest of them!

(And if you are wondering: No, I do not work for the record company!)

Enjoy!

All the best,

Jarle

Hergest

The CD's have excellent sound quality

Post by Hergest » Mon May 21, 2007 10:52

I bought these from CD Japan. And they sound lovely. I do hope Sally is getting paid for these reissues.
Come on and join in the Celebration

Jarle

Reissues = remasters - in deed!

Post by Jarle » Tue May 22, 2007 21:04

Hi!

I suppose they are official releases, and not bootlegs, so I am pretty Sally gets her share of the money.

And, like you, I love these reissues. I have played all but two of them now, and the new remastered sound is great! And I had no idea the single version of MANDALA is a completely different take on the album version - I thought it was just an edit. (For those who haven´t heard this single version, it´s much closer to rock´n´roll/mainstream pop than Sally normally is.) I prefer the album version, but it was nice to hear something "new" from Sally.

Eh... Did you get that, Sally? NICE TO HEAR SOMETHING NEW FROM YOU. (Hint, hint... :wink: